The team behind the original Raptor has released the Raptor Reloaded, an updated and re-factored version of the Raptor Hand. The entire device was modeled in Fusion 360, a free CAD tool that can import and export most standard solid body modeling formats such as STEP and IGES. By designing the hand in a tool compatible with numerous CAD packages, we hope to lower the barrier to contribution to the e-NABLE project for engineers and designers. Previously, if a designer wanted to make a small adjustment to a part of a hand, they’d have to rebuild the entire part in their CAD software before they could make the change. Now they can download the source files and just spend their time making the specific change they had in mind. With this new set of source files, we hope to improve the pace of research and development within the design community.
Assembly Tutorials – For Kids By Kids – Handchallenge.com
Detailed assembly instructions can be found on Instructables.
Changes in this design include:
- Improved print-ability due to custom modeled supports
- Cyborg Beast compatible sizing
- Improved dovetail geometry
- New tensioner retention clip
- Easier to use tensioner pins
- Low profile elastics with two tie-off options
- More access to elastic and flexsor routing channels
- Debossed versioning information on palm and gauntlet
- Slimmer, more anthropomorhpic fingers
- Narrower knuckle block
- More intuitive assembly (new one-way proximals)
- Thorough documentation and modular design
- Source files in native Fusion 360 format, also STEP and IGES
- Additional velcro-mounting options as well as traditional velcro loop and leather options
- Re-oriented snap-pin head recesses to improve printability
- Knuckle pins are now removable, making the hand easy to repair and upgrade
- Strengthened tie-bars on finger tips
By accepting any design, plan, component or assembly related to the so called “e-NABLE Hand”, I understand and agree that any such information or material furnished by any individual associated with the design team is furnished as is without representation or warranties of any kind, express or implied, and is intended to be a gift for the sole purpose of evaluating various design iterations, ideas and modifications. I understand that such improvements are intended to benefit individuals having specific disabilities and are not intended, and shall not be used, for commercial use. I further understand and agree that any individual associated with e-NABLE organization shall not be liable for any injuries or damages resulting from the use of any of the materials related to the e-NABLE hand.